- Its origins and aims – Hipatia Press was born in 2007 with the intellectual aim to build a non-profit press focused on disseminating scientific journals and books based on their quality rather than on commercial objectives. Prestigious international publishers have published in English from our backlist books, including authors like Beck, Butler, Chomsky, Freire, Searle or Touraine. In 2011, Hipatia Press launched its Scientific Journals aiming to disseminate international and interdisciplinary research based on validity claims, the advancement of science and its contributions to social change. It counts with the publication of thirteen Open Access scientific journals from a wide range of disciplinary and multidisciplinary fields in educational and social sciences.
The case of Hipatia Press scientific journals is also particular because neither they are part of any academic department or Library. Hipatia is a press with some of the characteristics that John Willinsky (2006) attributes to the Open Access Cooperative model. But, at the same time, Hipatia Press has some unique features. It is a non-profit press committed to the advancement of science, where are involved very diverse scholars and collaborators who contribute their time in editing, layout, proofreading, peer review follow-up and others aspects related to the microeconomics of Open Access journals to make this utopia real. Main decisions are mostly made through dialogic and cooperative procedures about the Publishers and the Editors of its Scientific Journals.
In case you want to start a new Open Access peer review journal with Hipatia Press please e-mail us.
- About Publication Fees - Hipatia Press scientific journals do not charge Article Processing Charges (APC) to its authors and it is based on the cooperation work of its Editors with the help of its collaborators.
- Collaborations - Hipatia Press collaborates with several projects to improve the quality of Open Journal System with PKP team (Public Knowledge Project).
- Abstracting and indexing - Hipatia Press journals are abstracted and indexed in the most famous data bases Worldwide. Due to its youth, editors have indexed their journals in many data bases and soon will be available in SCOPUS and in ISI Web Knowledge
- License - Works published by Hipatia Press journals are published under Creative Commons Attribution License. Licensees may copy, distribute, display and perform the work and make derivative works based on it only if they give the author or licensor the credits in the manner specified by these. Until October 5th 2013, Hipatia Press scientific journals were published under Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-NoDerivative License (CC BY NC ND). Hipatia Press journals decided to change the license and use the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) as recommended by the Budapest Open Access Initiative taking into account its commitment with Open Access.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License.